Upon arriving in Edinburgh, I immediately noticed the sheet number of people. Edinburgh is much more crowded than Glasgow, but first thought was "I want to go back to Glasgow". I went to the hostel to drop off my pack, only to find that the lockers in the room are not lockable, as the keys are missing, so I've had to carry all necessary valuables with me (like the netbook I am currently using). But other than that the hostel has been good - the beds are comfy and there's free WiFi.
On my first day in Edinburgh I went to:
- The national gallery of Scotland -- you'll never guess what they had a painting of....Niagra falls!!
-St Giles' Cathedral - a really neat church, lots of intricate details inside
-Deacon Brodie's Tavern -- a very interesting story about the person who inspired the story of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde
I also saw a busking bagpiper
For dinner I had the most delicious pie from Piemaker. It was called a cottage pie. Scottish food is so yummy (if terribly unhealthy).
After dinner I went on a tour of Mary King's Close. Its a tour through the underground alleys and houses along what was once called Mary King Close. It was really neat, and taught you a lot about what Scotland was like back in the day - from the houses, to the sewage "system", to stories about the families that lived on the close. Here's a picture of my tour group (I'm on the bottom right).
On day 1 I managed to stay out until after 9 pm. So my jet lag has been very minimal.
Day 2 coming soon...
No comments:
Post a Comment