Tuesday, 31 May 2011

The "house in France" - Lanvaudan, Vannes, Hennebont

Day 1

This weekend there are 2 families (Auntie Rosie, Uncle David, Lily as well as their friends Stuart, Claire and their  three children) and myself at the house, so its a bit of a full house.

On day 1 we arrived to the house in the evening, had dinner and went to bed.
Note: this is the same day that I saw St Malo and Le Mont St Michel.


Day 2

All of the children were up really early - I swear there's no way I was up that early when I was a child, that's just not possible!

Well, once we were all awake and ready for the day we went to the market in Vannes.  Vannes is a really quaint town with lots of old French buildings (some which appear quite close to falling down).

After Vannes I did some antique hunting with Uncle David and Claire in Hennebont, where Claire managed to find 3 stools for her house.  After antiquing we went and booked my ticket to Amboise (my next French destination) at the train station - it was really handy having Uncle David there for that because he has much better French skills than me.

We also went to a supermarket called Litl....it has to be the best supermarket on the planet!  Its like the dollar store for food.  I didn't buy much, but the groceries that I did get were really well priced - like a bottle of good rose for 2 Euros.  I hope I come across more Litl shops during my journeys across France.

After returning to the house in Lanvaudan, Uncle Davind and I swapped out Claire for her husband Stuart and set off for the neighbourhood pub.  Now I use the term pub here loosely, it actually used to be the general store.  Now it has a small bar, a really nice bar man who only speaks French (called Jean), tables with benches.....and most importantly, the cheapest drinks in town!  Interestingly Jean also makes unpasteurized butter.  Be skeptical if you'd like (I definitely was at first, but its really quite tasty).  Yes pasteurization was created to keep nasty stuff out of dairy products, but the French believe that it also takes away the flavour.  So really, what can you do when visiting France, the land of anti-pasteurization?  You can do nothing but join in the fun and hope it doesn't wreak havoc on your digestive tract (which thankfully it's yet to do).

In the evening I went to a Hunter's dinner.  It was really tasty, there was lots of venison (deer) - pate, sausages, stew.  The only down side to the hunter's dinner was finding a piece of ammo in one of my sausages....thankfully its was just a small piece, thankfully not big enough to break a tooth.

Only Auntie Rosie, Claire and I ate at the venue.  Uncle David and Stuart took the kids to the house (and got take-away dinners for themselves), so that the men could watch the football (soccer) games.

I did quite well with my French at the Hunter's dinner.  Virtually non of the dinner guests (or servers for that matter) spoke English, so I was forced to brush up on my French skills.  I did quite well.  Most of the people that Auntie Rosie introduced me to were quite impressed with my French.


Day 3

Today was a nice and relaxing day at the house.  Most of the day was spent between making preparations for the evening meal and swimming in the pool.  While the kids were swimming in the pool, I decided to join them and spent my time between playing with the smaller children and doing stroke corrections for the older ones.

I had an early night this night, as I had to pack my bags for my early-morning train trip to Amboise.

No comments:

Post a Comment