Friday, 13 May 2011

Glasgow, Scotland

Glasgow is such a wonderful place.....aside from the blisters I got from all the walking.......oh, and the rain. At one point I was soaked through my jacket (for some silly reason I left my Goretex jacket in my pack at the hostel)....but, luckily I found the pound store, and bought an umbrella....I have not let that umbrella escape my side since.

I could not think of a better place to have started my journeys.  The Glaswegians are extremely friendly, and the city is very easy to navigate, though I did get lost once or twice......and who was there to help me out: a Glaswegian!

I saw a ton of sights in Glasgow, including:
-Glasgow Modern Art Museum -- not too interesting
-St Mungo Museum of Religious Life & Art -- somewhat interesting, but geared more to be educational...and I'm on vacation
-Provand's Lordship -- said to be the oldest home in Glasgow, really interesting. The doorways are really short, but still tall enough for me to walk through easily. To anyone who ever teased me about my height, take that.....I'm just Scot-sized

 

-Glasgow Cathedral -- a really neat church, with lots of intricate details, I got lots of neat photos....all I have to do is figure out how to add them to the blog....which i just figured out







-Necropolis -- this was probably my favourite sight in Glasgow, so many neat tombstones! 


I've also seen a bunch of buildings of architectural interest....in it heyday (and even today) Glasgow was an architectural powerhouse.  These building were really neat. Some had really intricate details, and others had large arches and columns.

Oh, and the hostel I stayed at....divine!  The staff were excellent, and the breakfast the next morning....to die for!  I was served a traditional hot Scottish breakfast including: an egg, bacon, beans, a potato scone and a tomato. This was served with toast, coffee and orange juice.  The scone was so good, so I asked for another and the lady brought me two.  I was so full that I could only eat one, so I had to smuggle the other one out (it was way to good to end up in the trash), I stashed it in a ziploc bag to have later.....and although it wasn't piping hot when I ate the leftover scone, it was still delicious!  Moral of the story: if you're ever in Glasgow stay at McLay's Guest house and be sure to get the hot breakfast :)

 


I'm now in Edinburgh (having arrived early this afternoon)...but that's another posting for another time. Right now its bed time, I have a full day tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment