Sunday, 22 May 2011

Last Day in London and Arrival in Guernsey

This morning I woke up and had breakfast at the hostel.  During breakfast I met a fellow Canadian who now lives in Paris.  We had a great conversation, and it was nice to meet someone from home (she actually grew up in TO).  After breakfast I bought the ticket for my trip to Gatwick Airport later in the day.

After all of this I went to the Borough Market, where I tested some of the local foods.  I had the best prosciutto (shaved right of the pig's leg, hoof still visible) and mozzarella I've had in my life.  It was a great market to check out.  I also got some apple blueberry juice and a raspberry meringue.


Post-market I went to a pub and had fish and chips as well as a pint of London's Glory for lunch.  It was quite tasty, but not the best fish and chips I've ever had.

Then, I was off to Gatwick to catch my plane to Guernsey, my plain a small 48ish seater plane with propellers.

The flight went quite well, but was very quick.  We had barely reached cruising altitude before we had to start descent.  The descent was a bit dodgy, as you're quickly descending and the only thing below you is the ocean...I was really hoping the pilot made it to the runway and didn't over-shoot or under-shoot the landing. The landing itself was a little rougher than I'm used to, the plane just kind of dropped (at least) two feet out of the air and landed roughly on the runway.....I suppose that's how smaller planes land.  Upon arriving, the whole Guernsey contingency was there to meet me:

Everyone then came over to Aunt Louise's house (except Lily who was at a sleepover), and we all had a good dinner (with millions of desserts courtesy of Uncle David).....in that one meal/dessert sampling, I may have re-gained all of the weight I think I've lost while travelling through the UK.  I also got a chance to go for a joy ride in Uncle David's Mehari car (a dune buggy go kart golf cart hybrid)

That was it for the day.  It was a good last day in London and a good remainder of the day in Guernsey with my extended family.

No comments:

Post a Comment