Sunday, 22 May 2011

The "unimpressive" London Bridge

Using his iPad Uncle Trevor has done some research on the "unimpressive" London Bridge.  Apparently, over the course of time there have been many bridges at this site.  The "unimpressive" bridge was opened in 1973, after it was found that the 19th century bridge (which was more impressive and opened in 1831) could not deal with the increased amount of traffic, and fell into disrepair.  Interestingly, the 19th century bridge was disassembled and moved to Lake Havasu City in Arizona.....Colin maybe you've seen it?

Also interesting, the children's rhyme "london bridge is falling down" is said to have been inspired by the Roman bridge originally build at the site....which was replaced with the Mideval Bridge....which was replaced by the 19th century bridge.....which was replaced by the "unimpressive" London Bridge.

But, now that we've all had a history lesson, I think my original thought remains - the London Bridge that I saw was quite unimpressive, and I much preferred the Tower Bridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment