Anyways... getting back to the subject.
After sleeping for barely 8 hours (I arrived at my hotel in St Malo after 1 am), I met up with Auntie Rosie’s friend Sam. Sam was to take me to Mont St Michel for the day….but my journey there would be just as eventful as getting off of the island of Guernsey the day before. Earlier in the morning Sam’s hairdresser had called he to re-schedule an appointment - so while Sam got her hair cut, I went in search of food (croissants and pain au chocolate). After finding some sustenance (that term really makes it seem like I’m roughing it much more than I am), I went for a walk around the ramparts of St Malo. For those of you that don’t know ramparts are really just walls – kind of like the Great Wall of China, but much smaller, and it circles around the city. Ramparts are quite neat, not only do they offer good views but they were used for protection of the city, so there’s lots of neat nooks and crannies with windows to shoot out of.
After my walk around the ramparts I met back up with Sam – who was freaking out a bit because I was about 5 minutes late (perhaps I should have informed her that punctuality is not my strong point). She’d actually gone so far as messaging Auntie Rosie saying “OMG, I think I’ve lost your niece in St Malo”. Then, just as she hit send, I appeared. It was quite comical.
Anyways, we set off for Mont St Michel, stopping to pick up her mom and cousin along the way. Just before arriving at the Mont we stopped for lunch. The first place we went to was serving a bunch of bus tour tourists, so after waiting to order, we decided to leave, and went across the street. The second restaurant was much better. For lunch I had a dessert crepe – freshly cooked, filled with apple and custard, and swimming in syrup and powdered sugar. When I ordered it as my main the waiter looked at me with a “crazy tourist” expression….but hey, I’m on vacation Monsieur, I can eat what I want!
After lunch we went to Mont St Michel. Sam and I walked all the way up to the top (where we found out the Cathedral was closed, which was a little disappointing). The whole place was really neat. I even climbed my way up the narrowest steps I’ve ever seen.
After the Mont, Sam and I went to Cancale for some oysters. We stopped at a restaurant and each of us got a Dixie cup of white wine, then we went to see the oyster farmers. We bought 6 oysters to share. The merchant split open the oyster shells, halved a lemon, and handed us the dish. We went and sat on the sea walls to eat the oysters. I won’t lie, I was really skeptical, but just kept reminding myself that I like sushi.
For those of you who don’t know, here’s how you eat an oyster: 1) you peel apart the shells, 2) you separate the oyster “meat” from the shell, 3) you drain out the sea water, 4) you add a little lemon juice, 5) you open your mouth and dump the oyster “meat” in off of the shell.
Oh, and have I mentioned….the oysters aren’t cooked! Like I said, I was really skeptical, but in the end they were delicious! I ate my 3 faster than Sam ate hers.
No comments:
Post a Comment